To process Oceansat-I data by the software to compute the primary production mixed layer and column primary productivity on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. Chlorophyll and water leaving radiance will be used in an analytical and numerical model along with radiative transfer model on irradiance field, in situ chlorophyll values on vertical profile and ship based measurements of PI parameters to generate quantitative estimates on primary productivity.
The primary objective of Primary Production Estimation Module is to develop a model of euphotic zone column primary productivity estimation for the operational application of ocean color (OCM) data along with ship-measured variables. Primary Production Estimation Module is primarily an Image Processing Application Module that has the functionalities required to analyze and interpret Ocean Color Monitor (OCM) data. Ocean color data from IRS-P4 has been operationally available from July 1, 1999. The Ocean Color Monitor (OCM) payload of the IRS-P4 satellite is designed to measure ocean color, the spectral variation of water leaving radiance that can be related to the concentration of phytoplankton pigments, suspended matter and colored dissolved organic matter in coastal and oceanic waters, and the characterization of atmospheric aerosols.
Application Customization Approach
A large amount of OCM data has been processed and derived ocean color products such as chlorophyll, suspended matter, diffuse attenuation coefficient has been widely used in applications like PFZ, coastal processes and primary production. The primary objective of Primary Production Estimation Module is to develop a model of euphotic zone column primary productivity estimation for the operational application of ocean color (OCM) data along with ship-measured variables. This objective requires two major steps.
- The atmospheric correction of visible channels to obtain normalized water leaving radiances and
- The application of bio-optical algorithms for water parameters retrieval.
- Preparing primary production estimation
- Generating Chlorophyll and Kd Image
- Generating Mixed Layer Depth Image
- Generating Day Length Image
- Generating Irradiance Image
- Generating and analyzing Primary Production Estimation
- Generating Primary Production Estimation, different types of images generated are taken as input and the result is store in image format.
- Primary production estimation can be generated weekly, monthly and daily basis.
Space Applications Center(SAC),ISRO, Govt. of India
Ambavadi Vistar P.O.,Ahmedabad